May 16, 2011

Used isn't always a money saver...

New vs. Refurbished
Which one is right for you?

In an attempt to cut costs in my home, I've purchased items that were used or refurbished. I've found that the costs of used/refurbished products generally save me 25-50% off retail price. I thought I was doing myself a favor by sharply cutting my expenses, much to my dismay I have been disappointed by many of these items. For example, I recently needed to purchase some ink for my copier/printer/scanner, after shopping around online with my handy app from www.getinvisiblehand.com I was able to find ink brand new for $52.80 plus shipping, with my debit card in hand, I was ready to click on the process order button, until I glanced up and noticed that www.getinvisiblehand.com located another retailer that sold the same ink for $29.99 refurbished. I was definitely keen on saving $22.81, that is until I installed it and began using it.  

I'm sure you've heard that old adage "you get what you pay for", In this case, indeed it was true. The ink worked at first, but then after 2 days all the ink was gone. GONE! How could it have vanished so quickly? I only printed 7 pages. I thought it was just a fluke, so I contacted the seller and he willingly gave me an replacement pack. When it arrived, I installed it and began printing, shortly after printing 12 pages the ink was gone again. It was a very hard lesson learned, especially after spending the $29.99 and later having to purchase the New ink from Amazon at $52.80 for a grand total of $82.79. I've come to realize that sometimes it may be best to save yourself the frustration and just buy it new.

2 comments:

  1. Want to get free ink? Follow the steps I list on my blog! :-) Play the "Staples game."
    http://www.lookwhatigotforfree.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and the tip Sarah!

    ReplyDelete