May 08, 2011

I heart Thrift stores


I've had a long time love affair with thrift stores, from a very young age my mom taught my sister and me the value of a dollar and how to make it stretch. Coming from a blue collar family with a very modest income, mom did her very best to clothe us & often times it involved shopping at our local Goodwill and Salvation Army. As a child, there was such a stigma attached to shopping at thrift stores, at times I wouldn't want to go for fear that someone from school would recognize me and think we were poor. Truth is most times, no one could tell that I was wearing clothes that were 90% cheaper than what their parents paid.  


As an adult the principles that mom instilled are very much alive and in practice. Each Wednesday I set off on my trip to my favorite Salvation Army because Wednesday is half price day! Now, just because I'm shopping @ a thrift store on a half price day, doesn't mean that I won't ask for a discount. Yes, you read that correctly, I will definitely ask for a discount no matter the store or price. Last week I found a beautiful candle holder for $1.99, I gave the cashier a great big smile and asked for a dollar discount, after she laughed at my shameless request, she obliged. I often find great gently used blouses, knick knacks and handbags. In this economy, being frugal and shopping thrifty is not only savvy, it's chic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment