May 19, 2011

Lucky number 54


In the 9 years that I have owned my little green car (lovingly named Kermit), I have purchased 53 tires, Yes, I said 53 tires! It's not a ridiculous statement for shock factor, nor a gross exaggeration or a joke, I have truly purchased 53 tires for my car. To hear my father and husband tell it, it's more like 100, but the plain truth is 53, that is an average of 6 tire replacements per year. Today was lucky number 54 (#2 tire this year). I can honestly say that I am not a speeder, my family and friends constantly complain that I drive slower than a slug, and I avoid pot holes and debris at all costs. It's a running gag at this point and I can not help but to laugh and say "Ok"! Here are some tire maintenance tips from Mr. Mechanic that will help you avoid making it into the Guinness Book of Records. 

Inflate

Tires loose pressure over time, which causes early and irregular tread wear and poor gas mileage. 
Find the Right Air Pressure
The manufacturer's recommended air pressure can be found on the tire itself for example (45 PSI) it can also be found in your owner's manual. It’s important to regularly check that your tires meet the recommended air pressure. Looks can be deceiving, rely on a good tire gauge for an accurate reading.
Rotate
Tires should be rotated every 5,000 to 8,000 miles.

Evaluate

When getting in and out of your car, give them a quick look over. A general familiarity makes it easier for you to spot problems.

Listen to your tires

When you make a turn at normal speeds and you hear a squealing sound, it may be an indication of low tire pressure. 
I hope these tips can help you skip the trip to the tire shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment