Costco, one of the most popular warehouse chains in the country, increased its annual membership fee in 2011 by $5, bringing the yearly cost of its regular “Gold membership” to $55. But here’s a trick to help you avoid the Costco membership fee.
What if you’re not sure you like Costco enough to spend the $55 to get in the doors? Or what if you only need to go once or twice a year? Thanks to the Costco gift card, a gift card available to members, non-members can gain access to Costco anytime.
5 Tips to avoiding the Costco Membership Fee
- Have a friend with a Costco membership purchase a bunch of $10 Costco cash cards next time their in store
- Take one along to Costco, using it to gain access at the entrance
- Follow the greeters instructions to head to the Customer Service desk to receive a temporary membership card.
- Shop for all your needs knowing there will be no additional fees or surcharges.
- When you check out, make a partial payment with your Costco cash card and the remaining with cash or debit card.
Is this trick ethical?
Costco cards are designed to be given as gifts and used by Non-members to shop at Costco with the hope that they will decide to become life long paying members over time.
Story by Kyle Psaty of Perkstreet