Each year my husband and I set a goal for Christmas spending. This year we set it at $215.00 which includes 12 people as gift recipients.
At first I thought this would be an unattainable goal, but while armed with my coupons, a nose for clearance sales and fighting for what is right, we are right on task.
After a trip to Kmart, we opened a layaway filled with Clearance items that we plan on giving as gifts. We spent $107.00 of our budget and need to purchase only 4 more gifts and we’ll be done. We plan on coming in significantly under budget.
We decided that many of the gifts we plan on giving will be home crafted. However, for those that we are spending money on, we’ve used a number of methods to keep our spending under control. Below are just a few money saving tips that we’ve used that may also help you keep your budget in check for the holidays.
- Use Amazon price check app
- Use Ebates for all online purchases for cash back rebates
- Use Retailmenot.com for coupon codes for free shipping etc
- Use Coupon Sherpa app for in store and online coupons
- Use Swagbucks to earn virtual bucks & cash them out for gift cards.
- Use Shopkicks to earn points & cash them out for gift cards.
- Use mobile coupons & combine with paper coupons for extra savings.
- Use Plink to earn points & cash them out for gift cards.
- Shop Clearance racks
- Take advantage of layaway programs (Kmart & Walmart)
- Shop at your local pawn shop
- Ask for a discount (Use your negotiating skills)
- Use loyalty rewards cards (Never leave home without them)
- Sign up for emails from your favorite stores for money saving coupons
- Don’t be afraid to walk away from a “deal”.
- Use price comparison tools like “Invisible Hand” on your PC
- Use Ad Match guarantee @ Walmart, Toys R’ Us & other popular retailers.
- Shop yard sales & consignment shops for unique gifts
- Visit a craft fair for home made gift ideas
- Give a baked gift
- Give the gift of time (donate your night to babysit for a friend)
If you have a tip you'd like to share, feel free to comment.