August 26, 2013

Contentment, not a new idea...


I am an avid believer in minding my own business, focusing on my own finances and being content with what I have. I already went through the phase of ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ in my twenties. That mentality earned me a bunch of debt and heartache.

I’ve kept my older car for 12 years now and it’s still going strong, I recycle the same handbags every year for each season, I treat my clothes carefully so that they last. I’ve had the same cell phone for 3 years. I’m eligible for an upgrade, but I don’t want to get stuck in a 2 year contract. I’m long overdue for a new phone according to the majority of the worlds technological standards. In fact, my smart phone would likely be considered a dinosaur.

But whom do I have to impress? Not myself, I don’t much care.
So why do so many people run themselves into enormous debt for the sake of keeping up appearances? I can not imagine the overwhelming feeling of drowning in debt just so I could be held with regard in someone else’s eyes. The truth may likely be that they too are dealing with debt but are too concerned with the popularity factor of having the latest and greatest cars, homes and electronics.

I remind myself that no one else is going to pay my bills but myself, so why kill myself trying to appease other people’s views of what is in style. There is so much joy to reap with being content, being grateful and not worrying about what other people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment