October 01, 2013

Value, it's a heart thing...




Almost 3 years ago when I was laid off of my job, it was a turning point in my life. I had always used coupons, but never really focused my attention to save money the way I do now. I had a green plastic tote laying around that I wasn’t using and decided that I would fill it with items that I purchased throughout the year. I would constantly find items on sale or on a clearance rack. I would sometimes add items that were given to me as gifts that I planned on re-gifting.

I asked my husband this past weekend to bring out the box so that I could begin to sort and label particular gifts for the intended recipient. I was tickled when I came across a purse I bought 2 years ago still sitting there. I bought it from my local Goodwill store for $2.85, it is brand new, never used and still had the tag on it. The retail price was $97.99. It got me to thinking, too often we place the value of gifts that we receive in monetary form, rather than from the heart.

Who has to know that this purse only cost me $2.85? Just because I saved $95.14 doesn’t make the gift cheap. It doesn’t make the recipient less valuable to me.  Why is there so much emphasis placed on the money? It’s pretty disheartening to see that many people go outside of their means to buy a gift they can not truly afford just to appease someone.

Some may consider me cheap, but I believe that a true gift comes from the heart, not from the pocket. And the person receiving it should not want to see me struggle just to make them happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment