May 11, 2013

Saving with good intentions


Recently, after my epiphany on how I was hoarding money, I realized that set-backs do happen and I’m not a failure, my intentions for saving for an emergency are noble and I need to stop stressing about it.  Whether you are saving for an emergency, a vacation, or a home, be sure you are saving for the right reasons. My husband and I had to figure out what was most important to us.

We weighed the pros and cons and came up with a checklist on how to determine that we are truly saving with good intentions.

1. What are we really saving for?
2. Do we really need it?
3. Will this benefit us nominally or substantially?
4. Will the savings cause other bills to fall behind?
5. Are we truly allowing God to be supply our needs or are we building a “just in case” fund. 

True reliance on God means total surrender of our hearts and finances, no matter how scary the unknown is. Nonetheless, it doesn’t mean that you doubt Gods ability to supply for you just because you have an emergency savings, in fact, the Father encourages savings. 

Proverbs 21:5
Proverbs 21:20
Proverbs 30:24-25
1 Corinthians 16:2

No comments:

Post a Comment